Tuesday 15 January 2013

Snow Day

So today I have been sheltering at home from the snow.  This was the scene out of my window today.


I had an unsuccessful attempt to get into University.  I woke up, got dressed, walked to the train station, wept at all the cancelled trains, walked back from the station and finally collapsed under a mountain of blankets to regain feeling in my extremities).  After that ordeal I accepted that today would be a snow day and so I snuggled into bed and fell back to sleep.

I have a confession to make.  I am not a big snow fan, I know that makes me sound like a bit of a Grinch but  there it is -  my deep dark secret.  I am not without my reasons, so before you think I am devoid of all Winter joy I will share said reasons with you.  

They are:

- It is cold (seems obvious but is one of my main issues with snow, I hate the stinging cold that infests my fingers and toes)
- It tricks people into thinking it is fun when actually all it does is leave you housebound and unable to get where you need to go.
- It encourages people like my sister to bounce into my room and onto my bed with excitement - not a pleasant way to be woken up.
- Although I will concede that it looks quite pretty when it falls and first settles it soon turns to sludge and then invariably to ice, which leads me to my final and biggest issue with snow
- Falling.  Falling over so many times I look like I have been in a boxing ring.  I once fell over so many times on the way to the village that an elderly lady took pity on me and offered to help me up, then she power walked past me leaving me feeling bruised and rather pathetic.

How do you feel about snow?  Are you a Grinch like me or a snow lover?  I would love to know your thoughts and reasons either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment